Friday, February 27, 2015

Twenty Questions - Deerfoot95

Thought of a new idea I'm going to try for the blog - 20 questions. It's an attempt to help get runners to know more about each other, where the answers aren't limited to a character count. The 20 questions are all running related.

Let the fun begin!!

Name: Jeff
Twitter ID or Facebook ID: @deerfoot95

Q1: How did you get started with running?

  • In high school, I wanted to go out for the basketball team. During tryouts, I was one of the slowest kids during running drills. My science teacher (who was also the head coach) suggested I go out for the track team to get faster. I made the track team and had a lot of fun. I made a lot of good friends too.

Q2: How long have you been running?

  • I've been running for over 20 years. Some years I haven't ran as much or as often as I'd like though.

Q3: What's your average weekly mileage?

  • Lately my average has been 15-20 miles per week.

Q4: What time of day do you prefer to run?

  • I like running in the morning, just not too early. When you get out the door for a run before the sun is up, it becomes a zombie run - a run where your legs are moving but the brain is still happily sleeping.

Q5: Do you like to run alone or with a group?

  • I've ran alone since I graduated high school. It's difficult for me to find somebody that enjoys going for runs.

Q6: Do you have a cut-off point where it's too hot or too cold to run outside?

  • The heat doesn't bother me as much as the cold. My cut off for the cold is about 30 degrees.

Q7: How do you keep track of your runs?

  • If I run outdoors, I use my Garmin Forerunner 10 and upload it to Garmin's website. I also keep a paper log to have something I'm able to easily look at and add more information to.

Q8: What are your thoughts on treadmills?

  • I don't mind them. I run on them during the winter.

Q9: Do you listen to music while running?

  • Yep. I've almost always had music with me when I run. It helps keep me company and keeps me moving. 

Q10: How many races have you ran?

  • At least more than 100. There was a period of time where I was running a race every week during the summer when I was in high school.

Q11:What's your favorite race you've ran?

  • The Detroit half marathon. It's the race I wanted to run since I first started running. I've always wanted to run across the Ambassador Bridge to Canada and come back to US through the Windsor Tunnel.

Q12: What's one race on your race-bucket list?

  • I'm hoping to run the Disney half marathon or the Princess half marathon for my daughter.

Q13: How many races do plan to run this year?

  • I'm hoping to do at least 10. Some 5ks and a few half marathons.

Q14: What's the farthest you've traveled for a race?

  • Think it was a 3 hour drive to my first (failed) attempt at a marathon. Most of the races I do are less than 2 hour drive.

Q15: Do you have any running related tattoos?

  • I have a custom tattoo of a track shoe, but with my dogs face for the front part of the shoe.

Q16: Do you have any running stickers or running magnets on your vehicle?

  • I have both. I have a Pre Lives, 26.2, 13.1 and a Hansons Brooks ODP stickers and a Run D magnet.

Q17: Where do you buy your running shoes?

  • I get my shoes from Hansons Run Shop in metro Detroit. I got my first pair of shoes from there when I first started running. They do a good job helping find shoes that work for the runner.

Q18: How many pairs of running shoes do you go through in a year?

  • Usually go through at least 2 pairs a year.

Q19: Do you stay with a certain brand of running clothes?

  • Nope. I have a nice mix of brands. Most of them are Champion brand from Target. It's affordable and it works.

Q20: Do you participate in any sports other than running?

  • Nope. I was 'encouraged' to stay away from other sports when I first started running. The closest sport I do outside of running is biking - essentially cross training for running.

No comments:

Post a Comment