Saturday, April 25, 2015

Zombie Runs

What is a zombie run?

A zombie run is a run where you run early in the morning, while most people are sleeping. Usually this means your brain is still sleeping and doesn't quite realize you're running.

I started 'zombie run' training back in January. I was waking up at 4:30 so I could get to the gym for a treadmill run before work. I knew I could wake up at 4:30 since I already was waking up at 5am for work. I did this 3-4 times a week. Each run was 4-6 miles.

The trick I found was to roll out of bed, get dressed, and go directly to the gym. I wouldn't give any time to talk myself out of it. Once I was in the truck heading to the gym, it pretty much sealed my fate of hitting the treadmill to get a few miles in.

Once I was on the treadmill it wasn't until the first couple miles kicked in that I felt fully awake. I was 'awake' enough to function, but not enough to really enjoy the run. By the time the run was done, I was not only fully awake but sometimes also had the runner's high kick in (depending on the workout).

For those who are wanting to get a run in during the early morning hours, I recommend trying it for a couple days. You're going to need a couple days to see if you can get a rhythm going. Keep trying. It can be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment