Thursday, September 3, 2015

Time To Get Things Moving

A year ago I had an idea about a running conference. A one day (or however short or long) event where people could talk and learn more about running. I believe the best way for people to learn is through listening to others talk about their experiences and what worked for them and what to avoid doing.

I know getting a large group of people physically together would be a huge task. My thoughts to get this started would be to have it be a video conference. I've been part of events where you have speakers join in a Google chat and it's streamed live on YouTube. This gives the opportunity for people to speak and share their experiences, and have people listen and give the opportunity to ask questions in a chat during the talk.

With the idea of it being a Google chat, it gives people the flexibility to show their face when they're speaking, show a document or article, or just talk without having to show their face.

I'm not thinking of any set time limits for each discussion. I would hope the discussions last at least 10 minutes before the next person started their discussion. Based on the amount of interest, this idea could last 10 minutes or it could turn into a full afternoon.

Because this is still in the planning stage, I don't have a set date when I'm hoping to do this. I'm thinking sometime in the spring of 2016 would be a good time though. That's when many runners start to get out and start running again after winter hibernation.

I know there are a lot of different areas of running that could be used as discussion areas. I'm not thinking of any particular theme for all the talks except it somehow relates to running.

If this is something you are interested in helping with, have discussion ideas you would like to hear presented, or any general feedback, please email me at deerfoot95@gmail.com or find me on Twitter at @deerfoot95.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment