Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Planning For 2016 Races

The race season has come to an end for me. My last race of 2015 was the Detroit International Half Marathon about a month ago. The season hasn't ended because I couldn't find any cool races to run (there's always plenty of those). I always end the race season at the end of October. Here are a few reasons why:

* The end of October is when the high school cross-country season ends. I ran cross-country in high school. Once October hit, the season ended and we had time off before indoor track season.
* I'm able to take some time off to let any injuries heal.
* It's a great opportunity to work on strength training and slow things down enough where I can keep working on my form when running.
* I think if I raced year round I would get 'race burnout'. I like having to work towards a goal. The goal for me is making it through a few months of races.

Looking forward to 2016 I'm hoping to get at least four half marathons in, a couple 10 mile races and some 5k's sprinkled in between to help work on speed. So far I'm locked in for the Hansons/American Home Fitness half marathon in Mt. Clemens, MI in April. This is one of the races on my race bucket list. I'm really looking forward to running in my hometown. The course will take us through Metro Beach. I'm very familiar with that area as that was one of my main training areas back in high school.

Here's to a great running season for 2015. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment