Friday, November 21, 2014

Giving Thanks

Over the years, I've wondered how I could get in contact with my high school coaches to let them know how much running has done for me. It may seem strange to most people. Over twenty years since those days of running in high school, why would I care about trying to reach out to them. There lies part of the problem - I've never been like most people.

My high school coaches were the ones who helped introduce me to running. They were able to help train me to run at the meets. Little did they know they were doing much more. I was able to find a sport I was relatively good at. I was able to become good friends with people on both the boys and girls teams. Some of those friends I'm still in good contact with today! Most of all, my coaches helped show me how running can be fun. We rarely won a meet, but we were able to have fun. Sometimes we had a bit too much fun and ended up having to do pushups on our coach's count. But, even as that was supposed to be punishment, we still bonded as a team over it.

Today, I was able to find contact info for my track coach who was the one suggesting I go out for track. I sent him a short email hoping he would remember who I was, and let him know I was thankful for helping introduce me to running.

It's good to remember how you get started doing the things you love. It's even better to let those who helped introduce you to it how much you appreciate what they've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment