Saturday, November 29, 2014

Time To Punch In And Go To Work!

Went to the gym this morning. Thankfully, the parking lot wasn't too crazy with all the mall shoppers. I knew it was a few days since I was last at the gym. That could mean my body feels a bit rusty and slow from the time off, or it could mean I have a lot of built up energy that will get burned during the workout. I would let the body decide what it wanted to do.

WARM-UP

I got the treadmill up to the usual 1.0 incline and away I went. At about the .50 mile mark, I could tell it was going to be a good day on the treadmill. My legs felt fresh and wanted to keep moving. Who am I to complain with my legs, right? I still kept things under control and reminded myself this was still a warm-up. Patience.



I was sure I did the warm-up correctly. I was sweating so much it felt like somebody poured water over my head. Ah...the joys of training inside on a treadmill. I made sure to walk for a couple minutes and get some water to help keep things cool.

MAIN WORKOUT

I figured since the legs felt good, I was going to try for 4 miles. The way I sold my body on that idea was to divide the run up a bit. Run the first 2 miles at a nice pace, run the 3rd mile at a quicker pace and then kick it up a bit for the last mile. I've always found if I do these 'mental games' with my body it will make the overall distance not seem so long.


COOL DOWN

The start of the cool down felt really slow and sluggish. I know cool downs aren't supposed to be spectacular or fast, but my body was ready to be done with running for the day. I was able to talk my body through it and by the .50 mile mark, the cool down was feeling much better.



STRETCHING

I did a combination of stretch for 30 seconds, then sip some water, and then back to another stretch. I wanted to help cool the body's core down a bit and still be able to get the benefits of the stretching. I don't go overboard with the amount of stretching I do. I try to stick to a few basic stretches, switching it up a bit every now and then.

WEIGHTS

Today, I focused the strength training on my arms. I don't spend a lot of time with different exercises. I know so many of them, I could easily spend an hour just hitting the weights. I did a few basic sets to hit each part of my arms. Gotta have strong arms to help push you through when you're tired!

LAST MILE POWER SONG

Today's LMPS was Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard. The beat to the song is very hard and very constant. This helped push me to a fast last mile on my main workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment