Friday, December 12, 2014

Legs Playing Tricks On Me

Today I could have been ok with not going to the gym and instead going tomorrow. I wasn't getting enough sleep this week and my body was protesting. My legs felt like they had weights on them all day. I was still undecided about going to the gym all day, until my ride home from work. With the gym being on the way home from work, my truck found it's way to the gym parking log. Guess I was going to get a workout in after all.

WARM-UP

I sometimes have to wonder how my body knows when it's time to run. When I got on the treadmill, I got it up to my usual 1.0 incline and got the speed set. The warm-up felt really good. I could tell I wasn't being a lead foot on the treadmill, but instead seemed very light on my feet.


I was able to keep the warm-up mile time consistent with the other warm-up and cool down times. Right about 10 minutes seems to be the sweet spot. Not too fast where I feel like I'm pushing the pace, and not too slow where I feel like the warm-up is taking forever to finish.

MAIN WORKOUT

Because my legs were feeling dead for most of the day, I figured the main workout would only be 2 miles. I would throw in a few higher incline 1/4 miles and switching up the pace in there to make things interesting. I was surprised how my body ate those 1/4 miles up. I was curious to see how I'd do with 0 incline set. It is interesting that I was able to noticed a difference in running at 0 incline compared to my usual 1.0. I was able to run a bit faster at 0 incline.


COOL DOWN

I didn't waste much time going from the main workout to the cool down. I was able to get moving and slow things down enough to make the cool down feel good. The cool down felt really good! It did go by quick, which was good. It's good because I'm able to get a mile in and not really give it a second thought.



A bit faster cool down time than expected. I think it has to do with not giving as long of time between the main workout and the cool down like I usually have done.

STRETCHING

I can really tell a difference when I do stretches now. I'm able to stretch a bit farther than I was a few weeks ago. This is really good. I never plan on being Gumbi. All I'm looking for with stretching is to get more flexible and help keep things loose after my run.

WEIGHTS

Today was arms and upper body day. I decided to switch things up and do primarily machine workouts. Typically I have done free weights. I want to keep things interesting and make sure my body can continue to grow from lifting weights. I never plan on being really muscular or want to get bulky. I want to focus on getting my muscles stronger to help push me through longer runs in the summer.

LAST MILE POWER SONG

Today's LMPS was Ready to Go by Republica. The song has a fast paced beat to it. It's always been one of my top go-to songs for when I need to pick up the pace. "On the roof tops shouting out, baby I'm ready to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment