Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Oh What Fun It Is To Run On A Treadmill Today, Hey!

With yesterday being an off-day, I knew I had to get to the gym today to keep things going. Thankfully, I'm doing things the right way and haven't had to take time off due to injury. It's just me vs. me during the workouts.

WARM-UP

I did my dynamic stretches on the way to the treadmill to help get things loosened up. Got on the treadmill and got it going on the 1.0 incline. The warm-up felt really good. I wasn't drenched with sweat or really thirsty after I was done. It felt like a warm-up should!



I think I walked for a minute then wanted to get in to the main workout. Figured if the warm-up felt good, the main workout was going to be great.

MAIN WORKOUT

To hit my mile-per-week goal, I knew I could hit 3 miles and still be on target. To make things interesting, I did some short intervals. I'm still not trying to work on speed. Running at the same setting on a treadmill for 30+ minutes can get boring. I think I did .25 mile at one speed, kicked it up for .50 mile then repeated it. It felt good to get the legs moving at a faster than usual rate. I'm especially impressed my knee is still going strong with all the running I've been doing.


COOL DOWN

Oh man. The cool down felt awesome. I was able to get the body to slow down and get my breathing under control again. The only problem I had - after running at a fast pace, having to slow things down made the cool down mile seem like it took forever!



It's interesting I was 1 second slower on my cool down than I was on my warm-up. I love being consistent like that without having to think about it.

STRETCHING

I was able to get my stretching routine in. I changed it up a bit and did some stretches where it made me work on my balance. My balance isn't that bad. I remember from physical therapy some of the stretches they had me doing to help strengthen things around my ankles and knee.

WEIGHTS

I did more free weight exercises today. I like those better than machine exercises. With free weights you have total control over the weight in each arm. With each lift, you have the actual lift part of the exercise and the control part of the exercise. I made sure to do at least one exercise for arms and shoulders.

LAST MILE POWER SONG

Today's LMPS was Power by Kanye West. I'm not a big fan of Kanye West, but he does have some songs with really good beats. This one got me moving during the last .50 mile of my main workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment