Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Punching The Clock And Going To Work

I'm starting to figure my body out. I notice I walk slower than most people. I don't try to walk slow either. My body just goes at a comfortable pace. Today, my legs felt a bit sluggish when walking around at work today. I was wondering how my workout would go today at the gym.


WARM-UP

I took the long route to the treadmill today. Because my legs were a bit sluggish, I made sure to do a few more dynamic stretches in an attempt to wake my muscles up a bit. I got things going at the 1.0 incline and found a comfortable speed and went with it.


After I was done with the warm-up, I had to shake my head. I was able to kick out a warm-up mile within the usual time. Yep. My body seems to know when to it should kick in to gear.


MAIN WORKOUT

For the meat-n-potatoes of my workout, I was still targeting 3 miles. I wasn't sure at what pace I'd be able to do (especially since I wasn't expecting the warm-up to go the way it did). I got the incline back to 1.0 and went at it. I kept a consistent pace for most of the run. I think the last mile is where I kicked it up a bit. Nothing too crazy. I figured if my body wants to eat these miles up, I'm going to let it.


Not too shabby for a 3 mile run! I'm starting to see the benefits of running consistently for as many weeks as I have been. I'm on week 12 now of this training cycle. Seeing the benefits like this definitely help keep me going.


COOL DOWN

After getting some water to help cool things down, I got back on the treadmill for my cool down. The start of the cool down felt more sluggish than the end of it. Go figure. I'm not complaining. My body was able to get things back under control with my breathing and I was still able to keep good form throughout the cool down.


Consistent cool down time! Heh. I love consistent times when I'm not focusing on time and speed. The body knows.

STRETCHING

I took my time with each stretch today. Because my legs were feeling sluggish earlier in the day, I threw a few more stretches in to help keep things loose. My balance from the transition to and from each stretch was really good. I only had a few stretches where I had to catch myself and start the stretch over again.


WEIGHTS

I'm glad today was arms and upper body day for weights. Gives my legs some rest. Because the free weight area was a bit packed, I stuck with using the machines today. That's not a bad thing. It's good to switch things up. I hit one machine for the major muscle groups. I'm glad I stick to that too. Helps get me in and out of the gym quicker.


LAST MILE POWER SONG

Today's LMPS was Back In The Saddle by Aerosmith. Aerosmith has a bunch of good workout songs. This one I thought was good for the last mile; 'back in the saddle again'. It sums up how I'm feeling about where I'm at with running right now. I'm having fun with it and able to see improvements from the hard work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment