Monday, December 8, 2014

Treadmills Allow Zombie Minds To Still Get Work Done

I still made it to the gym, even though my mind was telling me I could get caught up on somethings at home. I guess it makes a difference when you have everything you need for going to the gym already packed in your truck, and the gym is on my way home from work. I guess I could have let my mind win, but this time the body over-ruled that decision and I made it inside the gym doors.

WARM-UP
I really wasn't feeling the workout today. I did a few dynamic stretches to help get the blood flowing and get loosened up. I know regardless of what type of workout I do, I gotta stick to my routine - it just seems to work really well for me. I got my warm-up mile in. One of the few times where it was nice to run on a treadmill. I was able to get the speed and elevation set and just be in cruise control. Not always the best idea, but it's much safer to do it on a treadmill than out on the street.



The warm-up didn't seem to take that long to do. I think my body is finally getting back into the swing of things.

MAIN WORKOUT

I knew today I had to get at least 3 miles in for the main workout. I had two days rest (Saturday and Sunday), and I need to get at least 15 miles in this week. The only way to do that is to go to work! The main workout felt surprisingly good. I was able to snap out of my zombie like state and kick it up a bit. I still didn't go all out though. Just enough to keep things moving. I keep an eye on my times and can tell when I've been 'naughty' and ran too fast.


COOL DOWN

It didn't take long after my main workout for me to be ready for my cool down. My legs felt pretty good and I was able to get my breathing back under control. I've always felt that if you can keep your breathing under control and try keeping the mind calm, your body will respond and be able to do more work.



I hit my target goal for my cool down. I figure on a 10 minute mile, give or take 5 seconds for both the warm-up and the cool down.

STRETCHING

I focused again on balance and making a smooth transition between stretches. I don't always do the same stretches in a row, but I do try to hit all major muscle groups and any problematic areas.

WEIGHTS

Today was arms and upper body. I can definitely notice a difference when lifting weights. I'm still no power lifter though. I think compared to most guys I lift super light weights. That's ok with me. I'm there to focus on me and my form. 

LAST MILE POWER SONG

Today's LMPS was Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran. Another 80's song. I didn't plan to have two 80's songs back to back for LMPS. The song does have powerful words in it though. 'I'm hungry like the wolf'. Gotta be hungry with your workouts. It's what separates a mediocre workout from a great workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment