Thursday, February 2, 2017

W5D3: Tempo Run Thursday!! Whoo Hoo!!

Tempo Run Thursday. I love tempo runs. They're a great workout to help get the body moving physically and mentally for race day. It's all about hitting the goal pace and setting cruise control for the rest of the run.

Since today was my first tempo run after I was injured, I kept the tempo run short. I started out the workout with a 1.5 mile warmup at 6.0 mph. I usually do my warmups at 5.7 mph. Today I wanted to change things up a bit and push just a little bit more.

I ran the 2 mile tempo run at 7.7 mph. I knew that pace would be close to what my goal race pace is. I was able to finish strong. Felt like I could have thrown in another mile. Next week though....going for 3 mile tempo run at the same pace!

I finished up the workout with 1.5 mile cooldown at 6.0 mph. With having just ran the tempo run, I wanted to go a bit slower, but knew I would be ok after a few minutes of running at that pace. At no point did I feel it was too fast of a pace though.

Before calling it a day, I did some core work and strength training. I did another round of BOSU ball squats, planks using a yoga ball and dumbells, and introduced some jump ups into the mix. The jump ups are going from a standing position to jumping onto a platform that's a foot off the ground. I can already feel differences in my legs from doing the BOSU ball squats. Hopefully if I keep moving forward I'll start to see more improvements with my runs from all this hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment