Monday, February 20, 2017

W8D1: Much Needed Recovery Run

Yesterday night I ran 8 miles so I could hit 30 miles for the week. Typically I don't run late at night. I usually get my runs in early morning or afternoon. I finished the run around 10pm. I made it to bed around 11pm. Most people would have scratched or post-poned the morning run. I'm not most people. I still woke up at my usual time to get to the gym to get work done. It definitely wasn't easy. Even when I got to the gym, I stayed in the truck and closed my eyes for a few minutes. I told myself I was at the gym and dreaming of miles doesn't help get the job done.

Because of yesterday's long run, I really focused on making this morning's effort a recovery run. I set the treadmill at 6.0 mph and kept it at that pace for all 4 miles. I didn't feel as bad as I thought I would. The thought was there to up the pace some. Had to remind myself the goal of the workout was recovery and tomorrow is Speedy Tuesday, where I can unleash the legs.

Finished the run feeling good. I spent about 10 minutes stretching my legs and lower body. I needed to reward them for this morning's effort. It felt really good to get everything stretched out.

Before calling it a day, I hit the BOSU ball for 2x20 squats. I know today was a recovery day, but I really feel adding squats on a regular basis will help my legs and help protect my knees. I finished up with some quick upper body strength training. I didn't hit the core though. Yesterday's run had my insides all messed up, so the core got a break.

Progress is being made - one workout at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment