Thursday, February 16, 2017

W7D3: Tempo Run Thursday!!

Yesterday's day off from running really helped recharge the mind and body. I came in to this morning's workout with focus and determination to knock it out of the park.

I started out with a 1.5 mile warmup at 5.7 mph. I kept it light to help keep the focus of the upcoming tempo run. The warmup felt good, and even a bit on the slow side. I didn't mind though. I knew it was ok to be on the easy side. For the start of the tempo run, I kicked the treadmill up to 7.5 mph. This was faster than last week's tempo run. I didn't want to increase the pace too much too soon. I was able to keep things under control and relaxed the entire run. I probably could have ran another mile at this pace. Finished up the run with a 1.5 mile cooldown at 5.7 mph. Again, the pace felt slow. It's tough being smart about the training and not letting the body do what it wants.

After the run, I made sure to stretch really well. I went through my typical stretch routine. The foam roller was added to the mix to help keep the quads and IT band loose. I like being proactive as much as possible.

Before calling it a day, I got 2 sets of 20 squats on the BOSU ball, some core work and some strength training for the upper body. I can really see the benefits of the extra credit work like this. Doing this, combined with running has helped me lose about 10lbs and get down one pant size. I'm definitely not complaining and plan on keeping up the hard work.

Progress is being made - one workout at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment