Wednesday, January 25, 2017

How I Keep Track Of My Runs

There is a lot of good information that can be looked at when you keep a training log. You can see trends on how you've been improving, possible cause for injury (running too fast or running too many miles too soon), or even look at it for helping set new goals.

I like keeping a training log. When I first started running, my coach had us all fill out a weekly training log and have to turn it in to him so he could analyze what we did, and make any adjustments for our training the following week (I still have those training logs too!) It slowly became habit to log something for each run.

Lately when I get done with my run, I make sure to get it logged in my paper training log. That's right. Old school technology at it's best. I keep track of the distance, pace, and how I felt during the run. If I remember to, I include the weather and my weight before the run. I get most of those stats from my Garmin 220 watch which makes it easy to keep track of.

After getting the run logged on paper, I make my way to the online world. I plug my Garmin into my computer so it can upload the run to Garmin Connect, Final Surge, and Strava. Most people only use one of those tools. I like using all three. Strava is the one I use the most though. I like how there are a lot of people in running groups and there are running challenges you can do too.

I'm not done logging my run though. Even though I have a paper training log, I still enter the information into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet allows me to get a lot of metrics for my runs over time. I like seeing the trend of: most miles per day, most miles per week, most miles per month. It helps me see trends easier than any of the online tools.

Keeping a training log doesn't have to be tough or time consuming. Even if you don't have a GPS watch, you can still use a regular stopwatch and map out your run online to get the distance. To keep it simple, use a pen and paper to write down these stats in a notebook. Easy, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment