Monday, January 30, 2017

W5D1: Let The Games Begin!

Missed out on yesterday's update. I did get 4 miles in. The day got really busy when I got home from the run - hence no update.

Today is a different story though. Today is the first day of focused, serious training again. There are 8 weeks until the first race of the season. I'm planning on running the Bill Roney 5K in Utica, MI on March 25. I'm using this race as a speed test. I want to see where I'm at physically. I'll use the results from the race to help guide my training to the Kona Cheesecake 5K I'm running in Novi, MI in April. That's the run where I feel I can run really well. The course is flat and there aren't that many runners to have to weave through during the race. Will see how this approach goes. This is my first attempt at all this.

This morning I was able to get 4 miles in at the gym. I ran the first 3 at a conservative pace (6.0 mph), not super easy, but at the high end for easy pace. The last mile I picked up the pace to 7.2 mph to finish the run strong. I felt really good after the run. I probably could have done a couple more miles if I needed to. I wanted to keep things easy today so my body would be ready for Speedy Tuesday tomorrow.

After the run, I got in my stretches and made good use of the foam roller. I know the benefits of a foam roller, but haven't regularly used it. I used it this morning for my quads and IT band. Anything I can do to be smart and help the body stay away from injury, the happier I'll be.

I switched up the strength training today. I did some squats on the BOSU ball and some other HIT exercises. I need to keep the workouts fresh so my body doesn't get bored. I do know the HIT exercises did a good job of kicking my butt. I'll keep at it and see what results I get from doing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment